This is Reana’s fault, she made me do it!! Well her and Amanda of Bimble & Pimble. First Amanda very kindly sent me the pattern and then Reana went and made up three of these lovely tops, so of course I had to give it a go too.
I was extremely sceptical, I mean, how is a woven, baggy top without any darts going to look any good on a somewhat boobilicious less than waif-like body? Well, I tells ya, it does, I just love it…so much I made three! Well I couldn’t have Reana beating me or anything, life is a competition right?? 😉
I don’t have too much to say about the construction, it’s pretty straight forward, there are only 4 pattern pieces; front, back, and two sleeves. Plus there is a bias piece you can either cut from your fabric, or of course you could substitute with your own purchased bias.
The first version I made with a lovely soft cotton voile – I bought about 5m of this so I wasn’t too worried if it didn’t work out.
I got to use my new coverstitch to finish the hems, which has really given it a professional look. The best thing I really like about the twin-needling is that it doesn’t pull like it used to when done on my normal machine.
After this Scout was finished, I was hooked. Not only did it look good and was comfortable, it only took 1m of fabric and about an hour to make! Brilliant for a quick satisfying make and I think we all like those from time to time.
Next I decided to make one in a poly georgette that I have been
hoarding saving for the right project. Pretty sure this had been in my stash for at least two years!
The sleeve and hem were finished using my rolled hem foot, and the neck (due to the curves being tricky) were finished using the manual method of rolling the hem.
Finally, for my third version, I used my new obsession, metallic finished fabrics. This is a foil voile! (hehe I like the rhyming).
Sorry, it is really hard to capture the foil finish of this fabric, but I can assure you in real life it is lovely. Essentially the right side of the fabric is printed with an opaque gold/silver finish – fun! Again, I finished the hems and neckline with the coverstitch machine.
The pattern recommends 1 7/8yds of fabric, but I only used 1m for each of these tops. I cut the back and front side by side and then the sleeves laid out beneath. The bias piece I folded in half and then cut from the double layer of fabric. This uses much less fabric, you just need to remember to add the seam allowance for joining the pieces.
It’s not often that I fall in love with a pattern and make it back to back and then again! If you haven’t tried this pattern, give it a go, it is nothing short of sheer brilliance!! Thanks Amanda and Reana for your enabling!!
Pattern – Scout Tee by Grainline Studio
Fabric – 1m of voile/georgette/voile
Notions – thread