The sort is complete and my sewing room is now super tidy! I love it this way and already feel a sense of relief (mission accomplished? no fabric diet needed????)
There is another basket of fabric that has two lengths of coating fabric and some jersey that didn’t fit in the allotted space, but still, not as bad as I thought.
Each of the fabrics I went through, measured and folded neatly. I took a swatch of each and stuck it to cards that I made up. The cards note the type of fabric, yardage, where I bought it from, the cost (if I know) and a spot for pattern ideas.
I have then put the cards onto one of those giant key rings to keep them all together and make them easy to flick through. Also the pile was a bit high and kept falling over! This is a nice easy way for me to see what I have without having to have all the fabric on show, I can also take these cards with me if I need to get notions. I can easily see what yardage I have if I change my mind on what the fabric is to be for. In my defence, I have a vision for all of the fabric, I know whether each piece is meant to be a dress or top or whatever, I just may not always have in my head exactly which dress I want to make.
If you would like to print off your own cards you can download the template here: Fabric Organizer. Sorry US peoples, this is only in A4 format, but let me know if there is a demand and I can do another one 🙂
Ok, so now down to the nitty gritty (if you have read this far). My total is (drumroll please)…..
72 pieces of fabric totalling 169.5 metres
Quite a lot I admit and an average of 2m per garment that is enough to keep me going for well over a year!! Eeek. I would love to get it down to 50 pieces, or maybe 100m this year. I think this is achievable. Normally I average one garment a week so it is possible, although I don’t want to just rush things to get through the fabric. I still want quality, well fitted garments.
Right, I’m off to do some sewing!!
Better get moving then!!