Recently I made a bit of a pledge with myself: I want to make more new patterns this year and in order to do so I am planning to alternate a TNT with a new pattern. The biggest reason for this is that I have been “collecting” patterns, not in a methodical stamp collector kind of way, more in a crazy hoarder kinda way. I plan to try and get through a few more of the stashed patterns, vintage included. I am certainly not banning myself from buying more, I just want to even up the stats of used vs unused a little. I’ll do a proper count soon and might bamboozle you with pie charts soon 🙂
This is a new pattern to me, the Bleuet dress by Deer & Doe.
The super observant amongst you may have noticed this is not a dress 🙂 It did start as a dress, but once finished the fabric was just too light and it felt weird to wear, almost like I was wearing nothing! Plus it was see-thru and no-one needs to see my butt, so I cut it off, and I love the result!
This is my first version of this dress and being princess seamed I decided to wing it and skip a muslin. I figured will all those seams it would be relatively easy to make any necessary adjustments.
Just like my Belladone, I found this mostly fitted out of the packet with few adjustments. I cut a size 44 based on my bust and hip measurements but graded down to a 40 in the shoulders. (this is a bit of a cheats way of doing an FBA on a princess seamed garment). Weirdly I didn’t shorten the bodice, I am only 5’2″ and this is one of my normal alterations. I feel this pattern is designed for a fairly short person so I would recommend a tissue fit before making if you are any taller than me. I think for next time I would maybe take an inch out, normally I take two.
Construction wise, this went together really well and the instructions (which I used) are very clear with loads of diagrams. The only exception is the collar, the instructions for this I feel were a little lacking in diagrams and there are better ways to construct than that described. Next time I will construct with my usual method.
I piped around the collar and above the sleeve bands with contrast satin bias. The fabric, buttons and bias have been in my stash for about three years so it is nice to finally use them.
I am a little on the fence about the puffed sleeves and in a heavier fabric these would be super poofy. Not sure this the look I am going for. I do love the bow in the back, such a cute detail and fun to have surprise on my booty!! Like almost all the Deer & Doe patterns, this is such a sweet design with cute details. I will definitely make this again.
BTW – if you are wondering, I have not turned in a copy cat stalker type of Sew Busy Lizzy with my photo locations. I have moved to a new place by the water about 45 minutes from Brisbane. We are in a rental whilst we build a house but I expect to be here for at least a year. It’s not an ideal location being so far away from the city, but it is cheap and I plan to make the most of the beach lifestyle whilst we are here.