As many of you will know, recently Melbourne held their annual Frocktails event. I am terrible when it comes to sewing to a deadline, it’s when the ultimate of distractions happen.
Here’s how my thought pattern was working three weeks out from the event:
- Hmmm, frocktails is coming up, I should make a dress
- How about I start with one completely not intended for Frocktails
- Followed by, I kinda know what I better make, but I better make it in different fabric first just in case (in case of what, I am not sure)
- Crap, I only have one weekend left, I better get moving!!
This is my Frocktails practice dress – Vogue 8555.
I did a muslin of the bodice first – I generally find it works well for my shape to cut a smaller size in the back than the front. I often do an FBA as well but this time it wasn’t needed! Huzzah!! The only adjustments required were a little off the shoulders and narrowing the waistband by approx. 1.5cm.
I love the details of the bodice, the neckline pleats, the gathering under the bust and the waistband. The skirt is lovely and full and has pockets – everyone knows all good skirts should have pockets 🙂
Warning – the neckline is pretty low, I don’t mind this too much normally, but for work I would prefer it higher as I feel like everyone can see down it!
Construction wise, this went together fairly easily and the pattern is marked by Vogue as Easy. The only tricky bit I found was the zip. My fabric has a lengthwise stretch so it kept bubbling when I was inserting it. I ended up having to baste it in first to get it to sit flat – very frustrating, but I got there in the end. I’m no quitter!!
- bodice shape and the flared skirt
- easy to construct
Changes for next time:
- shorten the waist panels a little more
- raise the neckline a little for better office suitability 🙂
So, spoiler alert, if you haven’t guessed, I used this pattern for my Frocktails dress which I will blog soon!
PS – If you’re wondering why I am intently looking left, it’s because the sun was blinding me and I left my sunglasses at home!
PPS – Summer is on the way – yay!! Tights begone!!