So rather than do a weekly roundup as I don’t know where I will be or if I will have Internet access I thought I would just post whenever I can.
So this is how I look after 20 or so hours of travelling from Brisbane to Chicago – terrible! The top is my oversize top previously blogged here, it is super comfy for travelling.
I’m back with more polka dots – yep I just love polka dots and especially red with white polka dots. I really should be participating in Polka Dot Frock Fest by Scruffy Badger, but as I am away for most of February I didn’t think I would commit.
The pattern I used was Simplicity 2180. The dress was supposed to have white piping around the waist band and around the neck and in my head looked lovely. The reality was not so great.
I know the envelope is fugly, but I could see it working, and I will try again soon (with a muslin next time). Unfortunately the fit was not close to the measurements on the pattern. I cut out the recommended size, did an FBA following a tissue fit, but the back was just huge. I also discovered that my fabric would have been too sheer for the skirt. Yes, I know I could have lined it, but that was my excuse to myself to hack it into something different…and the polka dot Sencha was born!
– I changed the neckline to a scoop neckline
– omitted the buttons on the back, I have no idea how one is supposed to do those up, I certainly can’t reach! It is easy enough to put over my head anyway.
– I used bias to face the neck edge
– narrow shoulder adjustment
– narrow hem on the sleeves and machine stitched
I still really like this pattern, it is a great little top that I can dress up for work or wear with jeans in the weekend. With the polka dots, I love the retro vibe this has. I like that this is a quick pattern to make up, almost instantly gratifying. I have read online that many people have had issues with the fit, but I think I have this sorted now. This is my third Sencha now, one blogged here and the other not yet blogged and it really does work in a number of fabrics.
PS – I am still planning on doing a pocket tutorial like I used on the Hollyburn skirt, but I don’t have any fabric to make a skirt from. I know, weird right? 🙂 I am away for a couple of weeks later this week and will buy some fabric whilst away so I will do a tutorial when I get back.
PPS – if my posts are sparse over the next couple of weeks it is because I will be away and may not be able to blog
My first version of the Sencha Blouse by Colette. I did a toile first which showed I needed to make a small shoulder adjustment as it was not comfortable to wear.
I underlined the whole garment as the original fabric was pretty sheer and used french seams throughout.
I used a size 6 in the top (and adjusted for narrow shoulders) and then graduated to a 12 for my waist and hips. I found that due to the blouseyness (is that a word?) of the pattern an FBA was not required.
I omitted the neck facing and instead incorporated the underlining to make a nice clean neck finish.
I also omitted the back buttons as there is no way I could reach to do them up! I cut the back on the fold instead and like the clean lines this option gives. I may do a version in the future with a faux back button opening as I found the pattern has enough room in it to go over my head just fine.
For those followers, you may recognise the fabric, it is a hack of my previous fail garment. I am much happier with this and took great pleasure in cutting the failure into pieces!! I am really happy with the fit of this blouse and it is comfortable, wearable and I think flattering. I shall definitely be making more.