Wardrobe Basic – Black Skirt Completed

Part of my “to do list” for winter was to make a new black skirt to replace the sad faded RTW one I have.  This is made from Simplicity 2698 another Project Runway pattern.  I chose the option with the simple two pleats front and back and the top stitched waistband. (previously I made this in the full pleated version here)

I used a gabardine fabric whilst a nice weight for winter, my serger seemed to struggle with on the waistband. I guess with the overlapping waistband and the pleating overlap it was all too much for my little machine to cope!  Not to be defeated, I decided to finish the waistband seam with a cute polka dot bias binding.

Not sure if you can see the waist detail, but it is a nice touch I thought, although it does add a bit of bulk that I am not sure I need!

Closer detail of the waistband:
I used an invisible zipper and am still debating the wisdom of this on this weight fabric. As with so many invisible zips, it does not like the change in thickness through the seams.  Time will tell, I can always change it as the construction instructions had me putting it in at the end rather than encased within the waistband.

Oh, and if you were wondering where all the white fluff on the skirt comes from, here is the culprit:

Maybe I need to think through my future garment colour palette!

Got the Blues – Part 2 – the jacket

As promised, here are pictures of the jacket I made to go with this dress.  I used Simplicity 3538, a Project Runway pattern.  I made the longer view with the gathered front and straight vented sleeves.

This jacket is super comfortable and seems to go with loads of my existing wardrobe, so even though I know I won’t get a lot of wear out of the dress, the jacket is going to get a lot of wear especially at the moment with our semi-warm days, too cold for a t-shirt, but too hot for a heavy jumper.

My favourite part of the jacket is the surprise fun polka dot satin lining:

This was a super easy make although I did change the instructions slightly to get a cleaner finish on the inside. The pattern calls for a separate facing and then full lining underneath, but I combined the two so the inside only has seams around the armholes, which I have bound in red bias binding. I know I could have done it with no visible seams at all, but I was on a tight time frame as I was trying to finish it the night before I needed to wear it. As it turned out, the weather was lovely for the wedding and I didn’t require the jacket after all.